A few months ago, after the Connecticut School Shooting, President Obama issued a Presidential Memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control to research the causes and prevention of gun violence, in the hopes of “saving one child”. As with many politicians, the President hoped to have a report coming back showing how evil guns are and that he needs to immediately disarm the law-abiding American public.
Instead, the report (available from the National Academic Press at http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=18319 (or you can download a PDF version of [download#44#nohits]) painted a much different picture.
As you read it, you will plainly see why the media has been ignoring it. It doesn’t fit their template as it contains important truth such as:
- Suicides, not violent encounters with guns, represent over 60% of all gun related deaths. Take the suicides out of the statistical analysis and the US has one of the lowest per capita death by guns statistics in the world.
- Those using a gun to defend themselves have consistently and significantly LOWER injures in violent encounters than those without a gun to defend themselves. This throws cold water on the gun grabbers claims that a gun in YOUR hand or in YOUR home is likely to be used against you by a criminal in a violent encounter.
- Defensive use of guns are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals, with estimates of citizens using guns to defend themselves more than 3 million times per year! So the next time you hear Obama, Biden, Bloomberg, Feinstein or any gun grabbing moron cry, “If we can just save one child…” get in their face and ask, “Why are you asking the American people to sacrifice 3 million responsible citizens EVERY YEAR to save one child?”
- Overall, gun related deaths are declining, during the same period that gun ownership has soared.
I’m not sure the disconnect that too many people have; if you take guns away from law-abiding citizens, only criminals and politicians (but I repeat myself) will have guns. Without guns, the American Revolution never could have happened. This is why the founders wanted the American people armed; to protect against foreign and domestic tyranny.
As often quoted, the Second Amendment of the God Inspired US Constitution reads:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
All too often, people quote the last half of it “the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.” This part is definitely important, but it misses the why.
- A well regulated
Well regulated means working properly. In the context of firearms a more modern phrase maybe “well trained”. This is why I attend Front Sight Training Institute, to allow myself to be well trained in correct firearms handling.
The Militia Act Of 1792 states that all “free able-bodied white male citizen between the ages of 18 and 45 [are part of the] local militia company” (later amended to state all persons)
“I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.” — George Mason (1788)
- being necessary to the security of a free State
If the people are ever disarmed, then who would protect the country from foreign and domestic traitors?
- the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed
If I would to try to write it in a slightly longer, slightly more modern vernacular, I might say “All able bodied people should receive training in proper gun handling, to ensure the security and freedom of the individual, the States and the Country from foreign and domestic traitors and tyrants, and then have and keep with them firearms. This right shall not be reduced or removed.”
In closing, I want to thank Dr. Ignatius Piazza for posting about this gun report. I quoted from his post above. You can read his original post at http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sight.com/2013/07/08/front-sights-monday-blog-obama-shoots-himself-in-foot/